Monday, September 1, 2008

It's A Celebration Bitches

So I was def. supposed to post this Saturday b/c Friday night was epic but our homie Ja made his return to Atlanta and we had to celebrate (The first mini party at the new place was thrown haha) but that's another story. I've been telling alot of people about the great results from the Kevin Devine and Andy Hull concert and now I finally get a chance to blog about them.

The show started at about 9ish but b/c I originally missed the turn we ended up at the venue about 8:50 but still made it to the second row and I def. had the Bape bag packed wit The City Snapshot demos (The Bape bag means I'm at work lol). Warner was really excited the onl thing that would have made it better for him would have been if Dr. Lacey himself would have showed up. At 9:05 is when Andy Hull took the Stage.

Photobucket


What A Way To Go By Andy Hull from Waverly Watkins on Vimeo.

His whole set was themed around his concept album. It is a concept record focusing on a 1600's sailor at sea for 3 years. Each song being a journal entry to his family at home or his captain. Hmmm sounds similar to The City Snapshot concept huh? I'll get to that. Andy was actually pretty funny, I enjoyed Manchester Orchestra live when we saw them 2 years ago but Hull did a great job without his backing band as well.

After Hull's 10 songs came Kevin Devine, to be honest he was my highlight of the night. Kevin was funny he talked to the crowd. At one point he announced he was from Brooklyn and I made a comment about the Knicks which he responded to on the microphone lol. After about the third song is when the night really got fun. Being one of the two black people at indie rock shows usually I really believe that it helps when networking opportunities become available. As Kevin was tuning hs guitar for another song he quoted a Jay-z song and then asked the crowd if he said it right, I don't think he was expecting an answer but when I filled in the rest of the line for him he loved it. Warner smiled with joy lol.


Andy And Kevin Goofing Off from Waverly Watkins on Vimeo.

Photobucket


Bag Of Bones By Kevin Devine from Waverly Watkins on Vimeo.

After Kevin's set was done he announced that he would be signing autographs and taking pictures at the merchandise table. This is when prob. the greatest events in The City Snapshot history took place. (I forgot to put this but as we entered the venue the doorman and the club owner bot took demos and are on their way to becoming fans). As Warner and I waited in line to talk to Kevin, guess who comes from backstage to talk and says that he remembers seeing us two yers ago and chatted with us about Alligator Adventure and Brian Lane from Brand New (Long Story), Mr. Andy Hull. Warner actually sparked a convo with him that resulted in the exchange of a demo and a great conversation, I'm assured good things will be in store for the future but we don't post things like that on blog lol. Here's some pics and a video convo of Warner passing Andy the demo.

Photobucket


Warner discussing The City Snapshot with Andy Hull from Waverly Watkins on Vimeo.

After about another 15 minutes Kevin Devine was sitting in the corner and we approached him. The first thing Kevin said to me was "Wow, in response to my sneakers for the night" (Note: When trying to impress don't wear dress shoes and a suit, wear sneakers, seriously every major meeting I've had I've worn sneakers and they really are a conversation starter). When Kevin asked where could he grab a pair Warner told him about them and actually he's suppose to be sending Kev a pair of Supras now actually. (Yea :P) After the sneaker talk was over Warner gave Kevin the same spill about the album, Kevin was really impressed and exchanged e-mails with us and even took pictures like the one posted below. All in All it was an AMAZING night. There will be more on the way from The City Snap Shot, Andy Hul, and Kevin Devine to say the least and all in all I'm really proud of Warner as a child I know most boys always dream of playing basketball with Jordan, Kobe, or LeBron but now he might actually have an opportunity to play with some of his favorite bands, that's good shit. And I would make a post about Saturday but umm yea, that's just not needed right now, but hey Ja's back lol.

Photobucket

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home